Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Need a shoe or leather repair?

It's hard these days to find a shoe repair shop. I did find one several years ago in East Dundee, but that's a little far to go for heels or soles.

In this morning's print edition of the Northwest Herald was a photo of Arkady Reznik, who began making shoes when he was 13. As I looked at the photo, I was reminded of Gus's Shoe Repair in Richmond, Va. I think the same company made the old green shoe repair equipment in Reznik's shop that I saw in Richmond!

Unfortunately, the Northwest Herald did not identify the name or location of Reznik's shop. An online search indicates that it si Angelo's Shoe Repair, 52 North Williams Street, Crystal Lake. Phone: 815. 459.9506

The caption said Reznik is from "the Ukraine"; I think that's like saying someone is from "the Illinois". A Ukrainian told me several years ago that it is more correct to say that a person is "from Ukraine."

For an interesting discussion of "the" Ukraine usage, visit Grammar Girl.

1 comment:

Cal Skinner said...

There is another one near the tip of the "V" in the Crystal Lake Plaza.