Friday, May 28, 2010

Federal encroachment?

In today’s Northwest Herald is a letter to the editor from Helen Polich of Cary. The Herald published her letter under “The honest party?” You can read her letter and the comments at http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2010/05/27/r_m5on4xktqo0lsewpd9ajq/index.xml

Below her letter was the following comment, posted by “illuminati” at 10:25 a.m. He wrote, "Ok Gus I'll take you at your word. As the highest elected official in this county, what will you do to stop federal encroachment against it's citizens?"

Because his question was open-ended, I answered it only briefly in a further comment on the Northwest Herald website with, “Briefly, I shall observe the Oath of Office.”

I'm laughing right now as I read my answer. I should have written, "I shall observe the Oath of Office." I certainly don't mean that I would obey the oath of office only briefly.

If he appears here, I invite him to provide an example or examples of the encroachment to which he refers. There are obviously many areas of encroachment over which the Office of Sheriff would have no jurisdiction.

No comments: