Sunday, September 13, 2009

When Grandma goes to court

This one was worth retyping! I received it by email and the source was not included.

Lawyers should never ask a Mississippi grandma a question if they aren't prepared for the answer.

In a trial, a Southern small town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman to the stand. He approached her and asked, "Mrs. Jones, do you know me?"

She responded, "Why, yes, I do know you, Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a boy and, frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you are a big shot, when you haven't the brains to realize you'll never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you."

The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, "Do you know the defense attorney?"

She again replied, "Why, yes, I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster too. He's lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem . He can't build a normal relationship with anybody, and his law practice is one of the worst in the entire state. Not to mention that he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him."

The defense attorney nearly died.

The judge asked both counselors to approach the bench and, in a very quiet voice, said, "If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I'll send you both to the electric chair."

7 comments:

Ellen said...

LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

I first read it in a copywrited book; of which I doubt you received any permission to publish it on your blog. Should I send an inquiry to the publisher and ask them if you have permission to post for the public... a siomple Yes or No will suffice. Or should I just go directly to the "Publisher Police" and nark on you for posting it here? Punk.

Gus said...

As I wrote, no source was included with it, so I don't know where it came from.

Anonymous said...

Good answer... deniable plausibility. You're politician material Gus.
All you have to do now is get drunk, drive one of your young pages home, but first drive off the side of a bridge into a shallow creek and that will cinch it for you!

Anonymous said...

BTW- how are you feel'n? What are the Dr's saying... you'll live?
Your posts are fair game, but your health... well, I dont need to attack that.

TMB

Gus said...

I'll try to stay on the road when I drive past Lake Woodstock on 47. Guess everyone's safe there; no bridge railing to crash through.

Thanks for asking about my health. The heart is still ticking. Apparently, I'm good for another 20-25 years.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear... take your enteric coated aspirin. Walmart in McHenry was nearly out of their Equate brand 81mg. I got the last bottle. The other brands (Bayer, St Joe's, etc) were over twice as much for the exact same thing.

I'd hate for you to lose my vote if I considered you with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel!