Saturday, September 19, 2009

Keeping contemporaneous records

Is there any police officer or deputy in McHenry County who is not now keeping his own set of personal notes about his employment?

It seems to me that every officer ought to be keeping a personal log of what happens on duty, including report numbers, names, dates, times, license plate numbers, fellow officer and supervisor names and directions, orders, "suggestions", warnings, etc.

And keep that log under lock and key. Maybe even out of your residence and in a safe deposit box or at your lawyer's office. If you keep it in your computer, create a complicated password. And keep a secure back-up off-site.

If you get ordered not to investigate a crime or suspected crime, then you might be well-advised to keep very detailed records. CYA, don't you know? And if your department's legal adviser tells you to do, or not do, something, be sure to write that down.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself, "Is that order right?" and "Is it legal?" If it's not, then you can probably look forward to a serious problem in your department. And you might start looking for another job where you'll be a lot happier and a lot more secure in your long-term employment.

4 comments:

Franker said...

Gus-I spoke with a dear friend who is a well experienced lawyer. She told me that whay happened to you at jewel was, well....not a crime!

Gus said...

Frank, of course that was her advice to you, based on what you told her. If she heard it from me, her advice might be different. But thanks, anyway.

Franker said...

I had her read your blog

Anonymous said...

I keep a logbook in my rust bucket and note every time I pass a cop car and they DONT pull me over for excessive exhaust, loud music, expred plates.
As I write my notes with a stenopad on my lap, pen in my right hand, beer in my left, and drive with knees on steering wheel, I just hope I dont hit a rough railroad crossing and spill all over me. DOH!