Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Source of a lie

Sometimes it's hard to track down lies. You hear them. You wonder where they came from. You wonder who started them.

And then there are other times.

Recently a Woodstock attorney posted on Facebook that the Woodstock Police Department "had a little chat" with me about a tip I phoned into the Crime Stoppers tip line, and which I followed with an explanatory email to the Woodstock PD. On Saturday his online comment was, "I understand that WPD had a little chat with Gus with respect to the Beth phone call he reported, that as it turned out never happened."

Today Woodstock attorney Ray Flavin posted on Facebook, "Hello Everyone, I was told by a Bentley family member that WPD had chatted with Gus. That is what I was told."

I responded to Ray on Facebook with questions - which Bentley family member told him that? And who told that family member?

I ought to know if the Woodstock PD had "a little chat" with me. Somehow, I don't think I'd forget something like that.

Woodstock Police Chief Bob Lowen knows that no officer contacted me. Det. Sgt. Kurt Rosenquist knows that no officer contacted me. Det. Jeff Parsons knows that no officer contacted me. I know that no officer contacted me.

Should I feel libeled by Attorney Flavin? And by the Bentley family member he says told him such a lie?

5 comments:

Curious1 said...

It seems extremely odd that you "know" what that the Chief, Sgt. and Detective all "know" that no one from their department talked to you...

Actually gave me a out loud belly laugh as I tried to figure out how you know what these officers know without having talked to an officer...

Curious1 said...

Don't you also feel the Bentley family deserves to know who accused them also? I mean you apparently called the police with a report that her son had talked to her that apparently turned out to be false. Don't you think her poor son deserves to know his accuser before you try to become the victim here?

Gus said...

Curious1, laughter is healthy. Glad I contributed to your good health.

How do I "know"?
1. I know that no one from WPD contacted me.
2. If anyone from WPD had contacted me about the Bentley case, Parsons, Rosenquist and Lowen would know about it.

That's the chain-of-command, in case you are wondering.

Gus said...

Curious1, no one accused the Bentley family of anything. Go back and read what I wrote.

I did not report that I had heard that the son called Beth. What I did report was that I had heard that Beth had called one of her sons. There is a big difference.

Jvelmont denied that he had contacted his mother. That was NOT what I reported that I had heard.

If the Bentley family has any gripe, it is with the person who informed the person who told me.

If it was true but went unreported, just imagine the continued waste of police assets.

Anonymous said...

I thought that the police department would never call you back or so you said.....hmmm somethings fishy here.