Friday, September 10, 2010

Flags on 9/11 - a better idea...

Tomorrow, 9/11, is National Day of Service and Remembrance and, by order of the governor of Illinois (and, I imagine, the President of the United States), United States and Illinois flags are to be flown at half-staff from sunrise to sunset.

I have a better idea, and I mean no disrespect to those who died on 9/11/01 or their survivors. Rather than lower the United States flag, fly it proudly at the top of the staff and so note its position. If a distinct honor to the memory of those who died on 9/11 is needed, briefly lower the U.S. flag and then restore it to the top of the flag pole.

Let this 9th anniversary of 9/11 be the last time the U.S. flag is lowered, perhaps for any occasion. I personally believe the flag should always fly at the top of the staff and that it should never be lowered - not for anyone; not on any holiday, not following the death of any public official, not at the order of the POTUS and not at the order of any governor.

And certainly not at the order of any other government official or quasi-government official.

4 comments:

Notawannabee said...

Lowering of the flag on designated days is a sign of respect. Yes fly the flag proudly everyday, but on somber days such as Patriot Day (September 11) fly it with respect and fly it at half staff.

"The things that the flag stands for were created by the experiences of a great people. Everything that it stands for was written by their lives. The flag is the embodiment, not of sentiment, but of history."

Woodrow Wilson,
June 14, 1915, Flag Day

Dave Labuz said...

Amen.

hadassah61953@comcast.net said...

Anthem
By Benny Anderson/Tim Rice/Björn Ulvaeus
[THE RUSSIAN]

No man, no madness
Though their sad power may prevail
Can possess, conquer, my country's heart
They rise to fail
She is eternal
Long before nations' lines were drawn
When no flags flew, when no armies stood
My land was born

And you ask me why I love her
Through wars, death and despair
She is the constant
We who don't care
And you wonder will I leave her -- but how?
I cross over borders but I'm still there now

How can I leave her?
Where would I start?
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart





Anthem lyrics are property and copyright of its owners. Lyrics are provided for educational purposes only.

Mike said...

Well said Nota! 100% on the mark.