Sunday, September 19, 2010

Left turns at McDonald's

Left turning drivers at McDonald's are still a problem.

Four-five years ago I pointed the problems out to the City of Woodstock, but it would not act to improve safety. I was hoping that the remodeling of the Woodstock McDonald's and the reconfiguration of the entrance/exit on Route 47 would solve the problem, but it didn't.

The following letter is being sent to Mayor Sager, the Woodstock City Council, City Manager, Public Works Director, Streets Division head and a corporate manager at McDonald's.

Let's hope somebody does something before there is a serious accident right in front of McDonald's.

"Dear Mayor Sager,

"I am writing to request your personal intervention to solve the problem occurring on Route 47 at the entrance/exit of the remodeled McDonald's. The new configuration of the Route 47 entrance/exit has not solved a problem that I first reported to the City of Woodstock 4-5 years ago.

"The problems are with 1) northbound drivers on Route 47 turning left into McDonald's and 2) exiting drivers turning left to northbound Route 47.

"When I contacted McDonald's 4-5 years ago, they were not opposed to prohibiting left turns out of McDonald's. IDOT will not act to install No Left Turns signs without a request from the City of Woodstock. The City of Woodstock will not make the request.

"This week-end I observed a northbound driver stopped fully in the southbound (oncoming) left-turn lane, as he waited for southbound traffic to clear. I met him head-on in the southbound left-turn lane. That driver had pulled into the oncoming traffic lane so as not to block northbound traffic behind him.

"I also observed a woman driver on a cell phone exiting McDonald's onto Route 47 to turn left and go north. She had to cross three southbound lanes - dangerous at any time of day.

"I do not understand the reluctance of the City to improve safety at this location. Will you or another member of the City Council please help?"

2 comments:

Notawannabee said...

SURPRISE...I AGREE!! This must be a first.

Today about 4:00PM I was S/bnd 47 and a car was exiting the Micky D's onto 47 trying to turn N/bnd. The car was basically parked stationary blocking both Rte 47 southbound lanes as she waited for an opening in the Northbound traffic. Myself and several other autos were forced to stop being blocked and the s/bnd traffic came to a halt for her. On my return trip home I saw the same thing occuring as I was N/bnd.

I have not been to the new location and do not know if there is a sign prohibiting N/bnd turns from the store, but there should be. Turns into the store from N/bnd 47 should also be prohibited.

Gus said...

Notaw, thanks for your comment.

Maybe next time I've have my camera ready and get a good picture of a car coming right at me in the southbound left-turn lane.