Monday, September 20, 2010

Starbuck's window - it's temporary


Thanks to a reader's email, I was alerted to a window change on a retail business on the Woodstock Square. When I drove up this morning, well, I won't repeat my thoughts...

Starbuck's is remodeling, and it doesn't want to lose any (or much) business during the remodel, so it must have sought the blessings of the City to change its front windows (on a temporary basis), so it can peddle its coffees to walk-up customers.

I haven't been paying very close attention to goings-on at the City Council, but I don't recall seeing or hearing anything in advance about this. Perhaps it was handled administratively, without City Council attention.
According to a business owner also on the Square, this is a temporary accommodation allowed by the City. When the remodeling is done, the original windows will be replaced and then, again, all customers will be served inside.. Note the condiment cart placed on the sidewalk, alongside the previously-approved customer seating area. I suspect it is to be taken in at night, as are the tables and chairs.
There is something folksy and quaint about allowing outside customer seating on the public sidewalks on the Square. For me, the jury is still out on that idea, especially on Main Street where the sidewalk is narrow.
I wonder if the City Council routinely monitors public feedback on the encroachment of business into the right-of-way. Just thinkin'...

No comments: