Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why I avoided Corrections

Years ago a college professor in another state tried to steer me into Corrections, when I was taking college law enforcement classes beyond the B. A. I already had. He was selling; I wasn't buying.

As the result of information about the McHenry County Jail and friendships with deputies and corrections officers away from the "shop", my decision to avoid Corrections is reinforced.

My ideal job in police work probably would have been as a state patrolman - dealing only with traffic matters. I loved the three years that I rode my personally-owned, police-equipped Harley in the Denver area. I constantly marveled at the drivers who would pass me on I-25, when I was in uniform and traveling at the posted speed limit.

I loved the freedom of solo patrol work, out on the road; no supervisor watching over me like a hawk.

What's it like in Corrections? Some of the Corrections Officers in McHenry County must love their work. It takes a special person to work in Corrections and to accept the responsibilities and obligations to treat inmates with the respect to which they are entitled. COs have a very difficult job, because many of the people with whom they must deal every day are just not "nice people."

But the hardest part of the job sometimes has to be dealing with their own supervisors. When the supervisors - those charged with enforcing workplace rules and regulations - are the primary offenders of procedures and administrative rules, it kills morale in the workplace.

How about a few examples? Tell me; are these accurate?

Is there a day shift sergeant who shows up for work and spends the first 20 minutes of the shift wearing a Chicago Cubs shirt over the uniform shirt? Doesn't General Order 1.4.07 state that uniformed officers are to be dressed properly when they show up for work? Is there a lieutenant on duty who observes this and doesn't take action?

Is there a sergeant who has been suspended three times for a total of 80 days? What offenses would cause three suspensions of 30, 30 and 20 days? A 30-day suspension is a serious matter. But three lengthy suspensions? And the person is still a sergeant? What's really going on there?

Is this a person who is almost untouchable? Why?

Is there a Corrections sergeant who assaulted a corrections officer? How was that handled? Should that be allowed to be handled administratively, where the details and any discipline are out of sight of the public? Or should assault result in a criminal charge and court action?

How is tardiness of a shift sergeant handled in the jail? Everyone might be late once in a while, but aren't sergeants supposed to arrive early, in order to gather information about the previous shift and be prepared to inform the COs starting their shifts of important information for the shift that is beginning?

I missed all of those "opportunities" by avoiding corrections work. Thank goodness.

No comments: