Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ethics training at MCSD?

Let's review the need for ethics training at the McHenry County Sheriff's Department.

Today's Northwest Herald article on the Zane Seipler reinstatement victory in Judge Meyer's court yesterday included this statement, "Nygren said he would consult with his top supervisors about what ethics training and job responsibilities might be appropriate if Seipler were to rejoin the force."

A while back I contacted the Illinois State Police to request a DUI checkpoint near a tavern just outside Woodstock where deputies were planning to spend a Friday night. Because of previous reports of heavy drinking, drunk driving and even altercations between deputies, I called the ISP on a Friday afternoon.

The commanding officer of the ISP District 2 headquarters in Elgin contacted Nygren and told him that I, by name, had called him. The next week my name was bantered around rollcall as having called the ISP for a DUI checkpoint.

Now, I stand behind everything I say. I don't provide anonymous tips. I give my name - every time.

From an ethical point of view, first, the ISP commander never should have called Keith Nygren. But, when he did call, what should the sheriff have done?

Only one of two things!

1. He should have thanked the commander for calling and asked him to let him know how the checkpoint turned out; or
2. He should have asked the commander what assistance, if any, the commander would like to have.

Now, Nygren wants to talk about ethics training? Put an extra chair in that classroom, please.

No comments: