Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bad accident on Lake Ave. - coming soon

I guess I'm glad that my apartment doesn't front on Lake Avenue. When I hear the sirens, I can't easily look from my window to the street and directly observe the police cars speeding toward the Square.

But I can hear the sirens. From the time of first hearing the sirens approach and then the sound of the vehicle passing, I can guess that the speeds of the squad cars (that's probably Woodstock PD at 10:21AM) are well above the 35MPH posted speed limit.

And, yes, I understand that officers are allowed to exceed posted speed limits while using emergency lights and sirens. Dick Tracy Park is at the intersection with Fremont, and there are numerous driveways on the south (west?) side of Lake Avenue. They must pass two more intersections (Davis Ct. and Greenley Ave.) and Jim Olson Collision before officers reach the five-way corner at Madison and South Streets.

All I ask is that officers operate their squad cars safely while speeding. If they are enroute to an emergency, I want them to arrive quickly. Mainly, I want them to arrive with the squad cars and themselves in one piece, and I don't mean "one piece here and one piece there."

No comments: