Sunday, December 20, 2009

Off to the Academy?

This afternoon a friend asked me if an Illinois Sheriff had to be a law enforcement officer.

The answer is, of course, "No." Then he asked why I didn't just go to the Academy and get certified.

His suggestion was that, on December 1, 2010, right after being sworn in as the next Sheriff of McHenry County, my first official act should be to send me to the State Police Academy for training.

That'll go over really well, won't it? A 12-week, paid, "$4,000 vacation" during my first three months of office.

How much vacation should I take in my first year in office? A month? Eight-ten weeks? Should I follow the pattern that has been set? Perhaps have an audit made of the number of days spent out of the office by my predecessor?

I wouldn't have a clue what to do with so much time not at work, but it probably wouldn't be hard to figure out how to fill the time. Maybe a little "side trip" to Maricopa County, Arizona, to meet Sheriff Joe Arpaio and see how he runs his jail at such low expense. I like his response to prisoners who complain about the food or limited TV: "If you don't like it here, don't come back."

For sure, I won't be in Florida or Wisconsin.

And staff will be able to reach me on my cell phone for any important decisions to be made.

Oh, about the vacation time. It will be scheduled ahead of time, just as vacations by all other employees should be, and whatever time I do take off will be public information and marked right on a calendar for all employees and the public to see.

1 comment:

sadist said...

"$4,000 vacation"??? Every time you comment about law enforcement you only prove you truly don't have a clue.

You couldn't make it through the first week of Academy.

BTW, how many departments have you tested for in the past 10 years?