Sunday, December 6, 2009

How to cut funeral costs to zero

Just last week I completed arrangements to cut my funeral costs almost to zero. And then today the Northwest Herald republished an article from The Hartford Courant aimed at that same goal.

Early last week I called Memorial Medical Center (Woodstock's hospital) and asked how to donate my body to medical science. (After I die, I mean; not before!) After getting transferred a couple of times, I reached a person who was trying hard to be helpful. She gave me the names of two organizations; one was in Arizona, and the other was in Utah. No one any closer?

So I hopped on the internet highway and searched. Why didn't I think of that first? Within seconds I arrived at the Anatomical Gift Association of Illinois (AGAI) - http://www.agaillinois.org/

A-ha! No need for a long ride in a closed box to Arizona or Utah. They are nice places to visit, but I'd rather go there with my eyes open.

At the AGAI website you can read about its program and download the Donor Form. Take it to your bank and ask two unrelated people to witness your signature. It doesn't even have to be notarized. Mail it to AGAI. You'll receive the Donor Card back within 2-3 days.

Then comes the most important step. Tell the Executor of your Will and your family about your decision!

How much will you save by doing this? $7,000? $10,000? More? What will it cost you to donate your body to medical science? $695.00 for delivery of the body to AGAI (including removal from place of death, obtaining necessary permits, filing death certificate and transportation to the AGA), unless your executor can negotiate a lower price for a one-way ride to the AGAI intake center from McHenry County. AGAI needs to receive the unembalmed body within 72 hours, so it's critical that your executor and family know of and respect your wishes.

Maybe saving money isn't the most important reason for such a donation, although it's a good one. It might just turn out that you will help a doctor save a life someday in the future.

By the way, I called back the person at Memorial Medical Center and gave her the contact information for AGAI. Hopefully, future inquiries will result in local information without delay.

No comments: