Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mental Health Court - County website?

One of my most enjoyable, and most frustrating, jobs at the Sears headquarters back in the early days of this century (like the ring of that sentence?) was participation on the website usability team. I hoped it would lead to a customer-friendlier website and result in a more pleasant shopping experience and higher website use (and increased profits).

I tend to notice when websites are easy to use and also when they are not. Today I tried to find the Mental Health Court on the McHenry County website. Recently, it was there. Where is it now?


At the top of the County's website is A-Z Services, so that's where I looked.

First, I checked under M for Mental Health Court. Not there.

Then, under Court Locations. Not even in the online Phone Directory.
Then, under Court Services / Probation. Not even under Special Programs.
Then, under Court Case Scheduling. Nope!

I gave up at that point and just dialed 815/334-4000. Punching zero got me to the operator. I asked for the Mental Health Court and got transferred to the State's Attorney's Office. I knew that was the wrong office; it's the SAO that .... well, you know what they do.

The receptionist at the SAO re-directed my call to Scott Block, who is the Coordinator for the Mental Health Court.

When Scott called back, he guided me to "Departments" at the top of the County's homepage (not to A-Z Services). And from there to "Court Administration". And then, on the left side menu I found Mental Health Court

All this caused me to wonder why there are two sections, with some "Court" entries in each. Why not combine them?

Thanks, Scott!

No comments: