Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Centegra continues automated calls

Man, oh man, I got another of Centegra's automated calls yesterday to call them back. Now, this was not a call that first tried to reach me (live) and then left a message for me to return the call. It was an automated call, telling me to call them back.

Somebody up the food chain in Centegra's management team made a customer dis-service decision from a cost standpoint to purchase and use an annoying telephone procedure that dials a customer (client/patient) and leaves a message for that patient to call its accounting office back.

I had previously complained to a Centegra customer service rep (CSR) that I found that procedure especially annoying. I realized that the CSR was only doing her job (when I called back), and so I didn't go down her throat. I did ask for a supervisor to call me back, so that my complaint about their "time-management tool" could start up the food chain. No one called back.

When yesterday's call came into my telephone's voice mailbox, I almost didn't return it. But then I decided to. Again it was important to be polite to the CSR who answered the phone; she is only doing her job. She, I am sure, had no part in the corporate decision to implement such an intrusive, annoying tool.

And I was nice to the supervisor. I didn't "buy" the "this is how we do it" explanation. Of course, that "how" they do it. I already knew that. What I wanted her to "get" was that I, the customer, didn't like it and that I wanted her to forward my complaint up the food chain.

Will one little complaint make the difference? Probably not. If I were steering the ship and received this complaint, I'd can that system. Of course, I never would have implemented it in the first place.

If you find those calls as annoying as I do, give Centegra your two-cents' worth. And ask for a response from a corporate Manager or Vice-President, so that you know your complaint got heard up at the top, where change is possible.

No doubt there are customers of Centegra who duck their bills and collection calls. I'm not one of them. So I had them take my telephone number out of the accounting record. Will that also remove my phone number from patient records and eliminate any calls to re-schedule an appointment if a doctor is sick? Let's hope not!

But I had a second complaint, and that was a call about a $42.16 bill that is due today. They had called yesterday about how I wanted to handle the $42.16. I had mailed my check yesterday, and it will be delivered to Centegra Hospital-Woodstock today, exactly on the due date.

Is Centegra so desperate for $42.16 that they must call before a payment is late???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pay your f-n bill and they won't call!
That $42 is probably for the aspirin tablet they gave you when your ticker malfunctioned. Punk.

Gus said...

TMB, I'm publishing your rude comment for a reason.

If you re-read my article, you'll really that I did pay it. Centegra will receive my check on the due date. There is no obligation to pay it early.

BTW, they only charged $3.00 for one aspirin tablet. That's a pretty big mark-up on the retail cost of a $0.06 tablet.

Anonymous said...

While trying to juggle my job, phone calls, drink'n fortified coffee, AND trying to respond to your blog while on company time and using my company's resources, I missed the part of you paying.

Please accept TMB's humblest apologies. Doh.

Gus said...

Accepted. Thanks.

That's why I gave up my day job. It kept interfering with my life.