Friday, August 24, 2012

MCSD less-than-thorough response

The following was distributed by a woman in McHenry County (area north of Marengo) who has been very active in promoting neighborhood alerts:

"To All Concerned McHenry County Citizens, There was an incident in Marengo today I think you should all be aware of, considering it involved children. At around 2:45 p.m., a maroon mid-sized car with black-tinted side windows pulled into the driveway of a home on Ridgeview Drive (east from Route 23). (This is my street). The driveway was that of my neighbor next door. He honked the horn (I'm guessing to see if anyone was home) and sat in the driveway of her house. My neighbor was home. She looked out the window and into the windshield of the car. There was a thin caucasian man, in his late forties, early fifties, he had regular glasses, and a beard. My neighbor did not let him see her in the house, nor did she approach the vehicle. The man pulled his car out into the street and waited. He was there for about 10 or so minutes. My neighbor watched him as he watched the school bus drop off my neighbor's kids. The man watched the kids run into the house. After which, he followed the school bus as it headed out of Ridgeview, out of the line of sight of my neighbor. My neighbor called the police. When the officer arrived, my neighbor told the officer that I had security camera's and had caught the car on tape. The officer did NOT come to my door to look at the car. I was appalled. So was my neighbor. I sure hope there are no children abducted from the area. This scares the hell out of me and I'm disappointed the officer didn't take this seriously enough to actually come to my home and view the automobile to use it as a description in some type of report. My neighbor came over after the officer left to view my recording. My neighbor said this was a vehicle that was definitely NOT someone she knew. Both her and I thought it would be a good idea to let all of you know. And this is why I do what I do with this network. Please, keep an eye out for any suspicious vehicles such as this in your area. (Creepy). Stay safe, stay vigilant."

7 comments:

Gus said...

From K.O., who issued the first alert:

"Regarding the email I sent Friday evening: Mystery solved.
"After receiving my Citizen's Alert, another neighbor called and said the car belonged to a child's parent from the school bus wanting to have a talk with my neighbor about her child. Thank God.
"I am, however, still upset that the police didn't want to send someone over to me when I had this car on tape. This could have easily been a pedophile. We got lucky this time.
"Thanks for taking this seriously. I sure do."

Bounty Hunter said...

I'd like to commend you on your vigilance, first and foremost.

Often times, it appears as if the police 'don't care' and don't follow up a situation you have so clearly outlined. Thank you for that.

Keep in mind, the police often times do not walk around talking to neighbors in open, why, so that in case a criminal who you may have just turned in, is watching and see's that you have now become a witness to him.

The police would then have in broad daylight, just 'outed' you. Now your life could be in danger if this case turned out to be different

The Police take the info, then THEY begin looking and watching for exactly what you have described, and, at the same time, keep you safe from possible retribution.

Kind of think of thing's this way, as example when you deal with the police.

"Just because you can't see police action, doesn't mean there is none going on all around you."

I certainly can understand your concerns and frustrations. A good detective is one that goes about his work unnoticed, and protects his sources of information.

It's great to see neighbors looking out for each other.

"MAYBE" the Sheriff can use some of his 'connections' such as to a company from McHenry that once supplied the county with communication systems, and perhaps a good Sheriff would ask companies to go into communities offering discounts on security systems for citizens homes.

Now that would be a worth cause for a Sheriff to take on?

Problem is, this kind of thinking is beyond the comprehension of a certain Sheriff.

Thank you and I'm glad your child is safe. But, everyday is a new day, we have to keep vigilant no matter how many calls you have to make.

Gus said...

Bounty Hunter, many thanks for your sharp insight. Your recommendations are solid. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Well, I may take some "heat" for this comment- are we so paranoid that we are now calling the police on cars pulling into our driveways? People pull into my driveway all the time to turn around or park for a few while hitting up the nearby garage sales. Should I call the cops if I dot recognize the car?
Let me temper my statement tho- I understand the multitude of whackos out there... one could easily go out and ask the driver who they are and what they want and instead get served a bullet or knifeblade. But come on people... society is what it is and if you wanna live in a shell, then so be it.
I would have gone out and asked what the driver was doing and what they wanted and that would have avoided a call to the cops. Doh.

CB said...

My neighbor called MCSP around 6PM to report 2 of his dogs got out of a kennel & were missing.
Approximately 14 hours later, at 8 AM the next morning, MCSP showed up to ask him if he had located his 2 missing "children?"
When my neighbor responded that the dogs had come home, the 2 officers asked to see proof that the "children" were home.
My neighbor was confused that MCSP was asking about "children" but pulled the 2 dog collars with tags off the rack & handed them to the officers.
"You mean these were missing dogs & not children" the officers asked?
Dennis told them he wasn't married, didn't have any kids, & that he had called to report his missing dogs that had returned home around midnight abd were no longer missing.
The younger officer offered to write him a ticket for the dogs not being contained. The older officer stopped him & apologized that there were new people taking the phone calls & that they had made a mistake.
Bottom line: if you're counting on MCSP for help-good luck-don't hold your breath!

Gus said...

CB, thank you for your comment. How many more stories are there like this?

yagottabekidding said...

As many as we can get you to believe!