Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dealing with dealers...

When I lived in Denver nearly 30 years ago, one of the many jobs I had was selling new cars. It was the worst two months of my life. As soon as I escaped, I wrote a seminar and titled it "How to Deal with Car Dealers."

I was just about to present it for the first time, when I was offered, and accepted, a management position with a Chamber of Commerce in the Kansas City area. Within a week I moved.

Had I headed down the seminar trail, I probably would have created additional "How to Deal with ..." seminars. I was already thinking about topics like:

... Insurance Agents
... Real Estate Agents
... Lawyers
... Doctors
... Bankers
... Accountants


Recently, I learned that a Denver friend wrote How to Make Your Realtor Get You the Best Deal. The author, Ken Deshaies, was on the leading edge in Colorado of the movement for real estate agents to represent buyers. I think they were called Buyer's Brokers.

Prior to that, in Colorado, all real estate agents legally represented the seller. If you had an agent and were being shown a house that was for sale and was listed by a different agent, 'your" agent still represented the seller (not you, the buyer).

If you are going to be buying or selling a house, I recommend you purchase and read Ken's book. If you pick up just one idea and it saves you $1,-2,-3,000, it was worth it; right?

1 comment:

PassDaWord said...

Gus, thanks for the endorsement. Writing the book was fun, but seeing people use it successfully has been a highlight of my life. Ken