Thursday, March 12, 2009

IGOLD in Springfield - 4,000 strong

In spite of the gloomy article about the prospects for concealed carry in this morning's Northwest Herald, there is high excitement about yesterday's IGOLD in Springfield.

IGOLD? Illinois Gun Owners' Lobby Day. Next year's event is already in the works for March 10, 2010. Let's hope we have concealed carry in Illinois by then.

A report from one organizer is that 4,000 gun owners went to Springfield from all over the great State of Illinois. They called on legislators who support concealed carry to thank them, and they called on those who oppose concealed carry to try to present some FACTS that will help them change their minds.

I went last year, but this year I didn't. Next year I shall be there.

Today I called Rep. Jack Franks' office to ask where he stands on concealed carry. The Springfield phone wasn't answered after a dozen rings, so I called the Woodstock office.

In answer to my specific question about where Jack stands on concealed carry, I learned
1. Jack is a strong proponent of the Second Amendment; (OK, but...)
2. Jack has a FOID card; (OK, but...)
3. Jack is an avid hunter (the word "avid" was emphasized); (OK, but...)

and, as I waited for an answer to my question, the nice young lady in the office added, "Jack is not in favor of it as written."

Ahhh, finally ... there's the answer to my question.

Now, I understood that she was doing exactly as she was told. I'm sure I wasn't the first constituent to call Jack's office on this subject. I asked what part of "as written" Jack did not like, but she didn't know. She did invite me to send an email with my question; I asked whether I would receive a reply, since I haven't received any email replies from Jack's office for about three years. I finally gave up emailing. I think I may have pushed Jack too hard on his let's-illegally-import-prescription-drugs-from-Canada position.

I hope Jack is not against concealed carry just because I am in favor of it. Every state that has adopted concealed carry has experienced a reduction in crime. When the bad guy doesn't know if the prospective victim is armed, he'll pass up the crime.

Check out HR2257.

Go to www.ilinois.gov
On the left side-bar, click on Government
On the right-side bar, click on Legislature
Click on "Bill and Resolution Search"
Click on the House Bills grouping for 2257
Scroll down to 2257 and click on 2257

It's interesting that HR2257 would place the authority in the Department of Natural Resources to issue the license/permit, not with the Illinois State Police. Either way is okay with me.

No comments: