Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wake tonight for Travis Forman

An adult and father in Crystal Lake is on his way this evening to the wake for Travis Forman, 15, the Crystal Lake South High School freshman who died last week.

The boy was at home, when he apparently attempted to induce a "high" in what is often called the choking game.

The Crystal Lake Police Department is not responding to requests for information or confirmation; calls on Saturday and Sunday mornings were not returned. The Coroner's Office is closed and unavailable (if you don't have the secret phone number).

As I have mentioned in articles about other deaths of youths recently, the purpose is raise awareness of parents and youth to the dangers of risky behaviors. In-depth conversations must occur between parents, teachers, counselors and our young population.

And our younger students and young adults must have people to talk to - people who will listen without judgement or blame.

If you know anyone at risk because of similar behaviors, please do not delay opening the conversation. There is no bad time for such a conversation; there is no "best" time. Now is the best time.

2 comments:

The DB Foundation said...

Another child lost to this 'game', so terribly sad. Parents, please talk with your kids, empower them with the information of exactly how dangerous this is before they are approach by a peer introducing a new 'game'. If you need talking tips or more info, visit <a href="http://chokinggame.net'>ChokingGame.net</a>

Kimmy said...

This is so sad. I am 38 now, but I never knew anyone knew about this game. I remember someone showed me the passing out game when I was 12 or 13. Sure, I got a head rush, and passed out. But it gave me a headache so I didn't do it more than a few times. I am in shock because the young man that died lived down the block from me. So sorry to his family and friends.