Sunday, September 9, 2012

Grandparents Day - Sept. 9

Finally. It's here... Grandparents Day. Will I be remembered? Not likely.

Maybe it's because, for many years when I was asked if I were a grandfather, I would only say that my daughter has two children. Heck, I wasn't old enough to be a grandfather.

During one visit, her mother-in-law asked me how I wanted the grandchildren to address me; you know, Grandpa? Grandpa Gus?

I thought about it for a minute or two and told her, "You know? I think "Mr. Philpott" sounds pretty good."

I thought she was going to faint!

Okay, okay, I was kidding.

One of my favorite greetings cards (and one I have saved for quite a number of years) has a picture of an "older", grandfather-type man on a tricked-out, chopped motorcycle on the cover. Inside are the words "As grandfathers go... you're as cool as they come."

I think that's when I started saying that I was a grandfather.

Know a grandparent? Have a grandparent? Are you a grandparent? Going to be someday? You might enjoy GRAND magazine. Like a free two-year subscription to the e-zine? Free. As in, really free. Register here for your free subscription. No gimmicks.

Happy Grandparent Day.

No comments: