Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Merit Commission Minutes - incomplete

At the June 13th meeting of the McHenry County Sheriff's Department Merit Commission, a significant event occurred but it is not reported in the Minutes of the meeting.

After I took one photograph during the meeting, Chairman Janelle Crowley ordered me not to take photographs. She said, "I don't like my picture taken."

I informed her that I was aware that the Illinois Open Meetings Act (OMA) permits photography, but she was firm in her position.

No reference is made in the June 13th Minutes to this interaction.

Following the meeting I filed a Request for Review (complaint) with the Public Access Bureau of the Office of the Illinois Attorney General. Attorney Susan Connor responded on behalf of the Merit Commission, acknowledging that she had not attended but had been informed of "facts" by her clients (plural; who?).

The Commission now understands that photography is permitted. (They understood that before, because they had to undergo OMA training after the last violation of the OMA.)

The "facts" in Attorney Connor's letter will be discussed tomorrow.

No comments: