Thursday, July 16, 2009

Could have, but didn't

A few years ago I was at a party in Denver, and a woman was wearing a t-shirt with the words, "I don't get mad. I get even."

Today I happened to be behind a Woodstock police car. The driver approached an intersection and, when he was 1 1/2 car lengths from the corner (about 30-40 feet), he signaled a right turn.

Now I know from recent experience that a driver is required to signal at least 100' before the corner.

Then he went one short block and stopped at a stop sign. At that corner a right turn is required. Did I see a turn signal? No.

Two $75.00 violations.

Now, of course, I could have honked and waved, as if I wanted to ask him a question and, when he stopped, asked him to call his supervisor to take my complaints and issue the two tickets.

Had he fought them in court and lost, add about $200 per ticket on top of the fines. A total of $550 would make a little dent in a week's pay; right? I don't know the policy at the Woodstock Police Department, but I'm pretty sure the Chief isn't going to dip into any slush fund and fork over $550 to the McHenry County Circuit Court just because an officer was on duty (even though some of it would make its way back to Woodstock).

But I didn't. Could I have? Yes. Should I have? Well, in light of my own recent experience with one of Woodstock's finest, perhaps I should have. But why take it out on someone else, who just "slipped up."

Maybe the Chief and the Sergeants of the Woodstock Police Department will conduct a refresher course for all patrol officers. If it's a really minor violation, make the traffic stop. If the driver's license and insurance are in order and the driver isn't wanted, write a Warning.

And cut out the paybacks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No Gus! You have NO hatred for the real police!

Just because you drive around all day contemplating pulling over the police does not mean you are obsessed, does it?

Just because you GUESS at the speed of a Chicago cop and actually waste the time of an ISP dispatcher (who could actually be taking a REAL emergency call instead of having to deal with you) listen to you say you GUESS he was doing 20 over does not mean you are a wannabe but never really were police officer, does it?

"Maybe the Chief and the Sergeants of the Woodstock Police Department will conduct a refresher course for all patrol officers. If it's a really minor violation, make the traffic stop. If the driver's license and insurance are in order and the driver isn't wanted, write a Warning."

Why do they need to do that? Because the wannabe cop Gus says so?


NO Gus, you do not HATE THE POLICE AT ALL, do you??????

Maybe you are thinking that by doing this on your blog that they might think twice about having the nerve to actually stop the all knowing Gus! How dare they! Trying to get a little payback in your own way, huh Gus?


I hope they get to know your car really well and make sure you follow the law in EVERY detail at all times! If not, hope they do their lawful duty and let you do what you like doing so much, go to court!