Sunday, February 15, 2009

Big fire on Wheeler Street tonight

There was a big fire on Wheeler Street tonight.

Woodstock, Crystal Lake and Harvard responded; perhaps others whose trucks I didn't spot. A duplex burned and was heavily damaged by fire, smoke and water.

One of the things I didn't know about fighting fires is that firefighters attempt to save or limit damage to possessions, when possible, by moving them into a pile and covering them with waterproof tarps to protect them from water damage.

When I arrived, the crew of a ladder truck was working above the roof.

The fire started on the south side of the duplex, apparently shortly after the resident had left for the afternoon. Residents on the north side smelled smoke, heard the smoke alarm, saw fire in the kitchen through the back door and cleared out.

No residents were injured and, hopefully, no firefighter was injured. Many thanks to the fire crews who responded for their efforts and their consideration toward the possessions inside.

4 comments:

Kyle S. said...

Do you know the address? I lived in an 80-year old converted duplex on the corner of Wheeler and Bagley. I'm wondering if it was my old apt.

Cal Skinner said...

Where's the photo?

Gus said...

I goofed, when I left home yesterday, and didn't take my camera with me. When I got the call about the fire, I went straight there. You'd think I'd know better than to leave home without it!

Gus said...

Kyle, 1020-22 Wheeler St.