Saturday, August 16, 2008

Finders, Keepers

Have you ever searched a State database for money that might be owed to you? Think there is no way that you have not claimed any money due you over the years?

Well, think again. Now you can search without ever leaving your home. Recently a friend in Colorado sent me a reminder to check, and it looks like Colorado might be hanging onto $25 of mine. And I haven't lived there in the town (identified) since 1989!

For a few clicks, my claim form is on the way. And just 3-4 years ago I claimed (and received!) over $300 in money due me. I guess I left Colorado too quickly after one of the three times I lived there!

To find out if a State is holding money for you, go to www.missingmoney.com or to www.unclaimed.org

Check for any states in which you have lived in the past 10-15 years.

And, when you get your "found" money? Remember to share some of it with your favorite charity. There are some great ones locally, such as P.E.A.C.E. 4 All.

© 2008 GUS PHILPOTT

No comments: