Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cell Phone Courtesy

Is this an oxymoron? "Cell phone courtesy"? Do "cell phone" and "courtesy" even belong in the same sentence?

This morning I was in the credit union, and a woman in front of me was carrying on a long conversation - loudly enough for all to hear. She finished her call before the teller was available but, while she was at the window, her phone rang.

She had asked the teller a question that needed the assistance of the other teller, and the woman carried on another loud conversation. In a not-too-quiet voice I asked the teller who was taken care of my transaction to let the president of the credit union know that I would appreciate their posting a notice such as "Please make and receive cell phone calls outside."

Finally I asked her - somewhat politely, I hope - if she would finish her call outside. Hey, at least she didn't slug me with her phone! And she kept right on talking.

How is it that people are so unconscious about cell phone courtesy in public places? Cell phones have become so common and our "need" to answer every ringing phone immediately apparently causes users to completely forget about any effect they might be having on those around them.

Join me is addressing lack of courtesy by those who carry on loud, long, unnecessary phone calls in public places. I'll cut them some slack if they are instructing someone how to do the Heimlich Maneuver or stop bleeding with phone instructions. But for non-urgent or gossipy conversations, ask them to please finish the call outside.

I used to wonder if I was the only one bothered by rude cell phone users. Imagine my surprise to find today that July is National Cell Phone Courtesy Month! Check out http://www2.sprint.com/mr/consumertopic.do?topicId=260#qID1

© 2008 GUS PHILPOTT

No comments: