Friday, July 22, 2011

Police officer threatens driver

If you want to see a chilling example of an out-of-control police officer, watch this video from an in-car camera of Canton (Ohio) Police Department's Officer Daniel Harless. In a June 8th traffic stop he dealt with a passenger and ignored the driver for about five minutes. When he got to the driver and got him out of the car, he learned that the driver had a concealed carry permit and was armed.

Harless went ballistic. The language on the video is raw. www.ohioccw.org/201107214955/cantonpd.html

It will be interesting to learn whether Harless lost his job over that contact. Not only should he have lost his job, but he should have been charged with the crimes he committed. An anger management course is never going to get the job done with that guy.

Watch the video. It's on the website of Ohioans for Concealed Carry. See if you can even get through the whole thing. Notice how the officer failed to secure the driver and how he searched the vehicle without permission. Decide how dangerous you think Harless is. Then call Chief Dean McKimm at 330.489.3100 and let him know.

An update on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry website indicates that Harless was relieved of all duties, but it didn't say he was fired.

Actually, Harless reminds me of a Chicago Police officer on the O'Hare detail several years ago. I filed a complaint against that officer, and IAD sat on it for seven months, giving the officer time to retire; and then IAD closed the complaint because the officer had retired. He should have been fired before he could retire, costing him his pension.

10 comments:

Sam said...

I know this post will never see the light of day on your blog but I had to say it.

Because some officer doesn’t meet your expectations of treating you nicely he should lose his pension? You show your true colors more each day. Lose a lifetimes work over some meaningless nincompoop and a trivial complaint. I bet your complaint was filed in the crackpot file.

If the local cops would grow a pair and lock your ass up for some of the stunts you pull, everyone would be better off.

You of all people SHOULD NOT carry a gun. You are a traffic zealot and I can see you pulling down on someone because they passed you on the right of followed you too close.

Gus said...

Sam, you obviously don't know the circumstances of that day at O'Hare. Even if you did, I suspect you wouldn't care.

If a police officer is approached politely and asked a civil question, he shouldn't go berserk. And, if he does, it should be investigated.

Justin said...

OK Gus. Giving that shadow of doubt, what was the egregious circumstance that rose to the level of this officers termination?

My God man, they had an officer in Grant Park caught drinking on while duty driving a three wheeler ( presumed DUI) and only got two weeks suspension and counseling. Telling you (to probably) buzz off is more serious?

I must agree with Sam that this just seems mean spirited.

Ray said...

Seems like you want it both ways, you would like the O'Hare officer to lose his pension (because he acted inappropriately to you), and you would like to bring an "out of control police officer" in to "solve" the Beth Bentley missing case. There is no room for unprofessional police work, simple enough. Just sayin.

Gus said...

Perhaps I shouldn't have mixed my sarcasm about bringing the Canton, Ohio cop here to solve the Bentley missing person case. I wouldn't want THAT cop around - anywhere.

Gus said...

The Chicago PD cop at O'Hare? He didn't act "inappropriately" toward me. He acted criminally toward me. I told IAD that he was a "loose cannon". CPD's lack of action was unjustifiable and itself should have been investigated.

Justin said...

OK I must ask. PLEASE tell us what this Criminal CPD officer did to you. We've all heard the Gus V Nygren beef. Did he stare at you or did he say boo.

Gus said...

I was at ORD to pick up an arriving, elderly passenger. On the first pass at Terminal 1, there was not even one place to stop to pick anyone up. I circled around and stopped by a CPD Blazer of the O'Hare detail who was parked well back from the terminal. He had his family dog (mutt) on a cushion on the passenger seat.

When I asked the cop why so many cars were stopped and parked right under the signs that prohibit Stopping, Standing or Parking, some without drivers, he went ballistic. And I do mean ballistic.

So I got back in my car and proceeded to the Terminal. He pulled away from the curb sharply and tailgated me in the 20MPH Terminal drive, yelling and cussing at me, and shaking his fist out the driver's window. He followed me all the way past Terminal 3 and pulled in by another marked unit, when I entered the circle-around for the third pass.

Sound like good police work to you?

Justin said...

This sounds like you overstepping your bounds by being the traffic vigilante and pointing out these violations to him. Just what he needed to hear. I bet if you said SCUZ me officer, but since there is no place to park, would you object if I pulled over there to pick up my elderly friend?

I doubt he had neither the experience nor the vision to see these blatant violations. He was probably shocked by your ability to see numerous violations he was oblivious to. (YES THAT WAS SARCASIM.)

I go to O'Hare about five-six times a year picking up passengers and ALWAYS use the cell phone waiting area on Manheim Rd. When my passenger arrives they call me when they leave the baggage area. They give me a heads-up what door they are at and I drive down and pick them up. NO problems. Access to the cell phone area is easy and access back onto the entry to O’Hare is a breeze.

Never do I experience any problems except sometimes getting blocked in by another car and that is seldom and short lived.

Gus said...

A cell phone heads-up does work very well, if the arriving passenger has a phone.