Friday, September 14, 2007

Save the Date – August 28th???

What would you think of an organization that, on September 14, still carries a message on its website to save a date for a future meeting - and that date is August 28???

All you have to do is check out the Events page of the Woodstock Chamber of Commerce. Go to www.woodstockilchamber.com On September 14 the webpage still alerts members to save August 28 for a networking meeting!

This isn’t anything new, of course. The Artwalk on the Square (August 25) is still posted as an “upcoming event.”

Why do Chamber members tolerate such an approach to the Chamber’s electronic newsletter? And why do they tolerate the absence of meaningful networking events and other events of value to the business members, who pay dues to support the organization?

What do they really get for their dues? Do they get strong representation and advocacy before the City Council? You’d never know it from the news reaching the Woodstock Independent or the Northwest Herald! Or maybe that’s the reason nothing reaches the press. You have to do something first.

Have you noticed the amount of newspaper space given to the Crystal Lake and McHenry Chambers of Commerce? As a former Chamber of Commerce vice-president of membership services (in an 1,100-member chamber), I recognize chambers that deliver value to members, and those two chambers do just that.

I remember telling one chamber prospect 20 years ago that the greatest benefit of membership should NOT be a canceled check from his bank within 30 days of his dues payment!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you inquire as to why it was not updated, or was this just for venting purposes?

Anonymous said...

Probably just upset because they booted him out

Anonymous said...

My understanding of a blog is that it is a place for discussion and exchange. Your blog is a total failure. Comments by others are dismissed or put down by you as unimportant. Most of your comments receive no feedback whatsoever leaving me to think that most people believe you to be an annoyance similar to mosquitos. Too bad you won't go away with the frost as well.

Gus said...

The Chamber's website hasn't been kept current for years; maybe more. When I was a dues-paying member, I suggested it be kept current.

Why would you (or any other "anonymous" contributor) think I got booted out of the Chamber? I caught the Chamber with its pants down on a number of issues, including being out of compliance with its By-Laws by placing two ineligible people as Officers of the Chamber; not just one, but TWO (out of the four officers). When I expressed my dissatisfaction to one officer, he must have passed my email along to the Executive Director. When I didn't receive a renewal notice and requested one, th ED sent an excerpt of that email to me and asked me if I hadn't sent it to him. No, I sent it to the officer who forwarded it to him. Procedurely, I should have insisted on either a Renewal Notice or Board action to refuse renewal.

Perhaps I should file a FOIA request to find out if they DID boot me out. But that would have taken a Board decision, and they would have had to invite me in to discuss. Well, of course, only if they obeyed the By-Laws...

The Chamber was also out of compliance with the By-Laws for the 2007 election of Board members, because the Nominating Committee did not follow the By-Laws. The Committee was to present its slate of candidates at the November 2006 Board meeting. It never did present its slate to the Board, as required. It was submitted sometime later in writing, and apparently one person, or a limited number but not the full Board, "accepted" the slate. So maybe the Chamber doesn't even have a legal Board right now?

Illinois requires corporations to have By-Laws, and the expectation is that corporations will comply with their written By-Laws. Oh, wait; I remember... this is Woodstock.

I invite you to choose a Google identity and post under your own name. The views presented here are my own. I've posted on a variety of topics, and I receive direct email from readers supporting my postings.

I thank you for reading and for posting. If you'd like discussion and exchange, pick a topic and let's engage in it.

Anonymous said...

Gus, Dude!

Anonymous said...

Get

Anonymous said...

A

Anonymous said...

Life!!

Anonymous said...

You are such a pain in my beee-hind but I like yor thoughts about the chamber!!! Keep it up Gus or is it Gas? How do you get a job w/ the WCoC? I like the hours....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd like to work at the chamber - seems like the Exec Dir, Quinn has a cush job. He's never there, walking around the square "acting" like he's doing something, but actually goofing off! He never returns phone calls or e-mails... and he's employed there why???

Gus said...

My first experience with an unreturned call from the Chamber was one week after I joined. I left a message for Quinn, asking for a 10-minute meeting to explain my business. As I told the Chamber Board six months later, I knew Quinn was busy, but I really had expected a return call within six months. And I didn't even get it after that!

Anonymous said...

"Why would you (or any other "anonymous" contributor) think I got booted out of the Chamber?"

http://woodstockadvocate.blogspot.com/2007/04/woodstock-chamber-of-commerce-booo.html

Gus said...

I think you missed my sarcasm...