Monday, September 17, 2007

Legal Work on Flooding

On Sunday afternoon about a dozen Woodstock residents gathered at the library for the first of seven informational meetings with Phillip G. Bazzo, a Michigan attorney who specializes in home “flood invasions.” He is working with the Chicago law firm of Sneckenberg, Thompson & Brody, L.L.P.

I didn’t stay for the entire meeting because issues that would be privileged communications between a lawyer and his clients were going to be discussed. I explained that I was there to gather information but that I myself had not suffered a loss. Even though I did not intend to use names or addresses of anyone attending, I offered to leave the meeting, and Mr. Bazzo accepted my offer.

He and I met later, and I learned more about his work. He has been active in Rockford, where very serious flooding occurred. In Rockford 100 homes were condemned as a result of flooding. At least we didn’t have a problem of that magnitude here, which is not to diminish the problems that Woodstock residents did have.

So far, I do not know of any effort of the City of Woodstock to learn the extent of damage in Woodstock. Over 420 addresses of affected properties may now be known to the City. This is a 20% increase in the original number reported (345). That 345 was touted as “less than 5%”. And it is; it’s 4.54%.

But 420 properties is 5.53% of that 7,600 properties. What is the number of affected properties is 1,000 (13.16%)?. Or what if it ultimately is 2,000 properties (26.32%)?

The only way to know the true devastation that occurred is to count ALL the affected properties. And the only way to do that is to ask EVERY property owner or tenant whether there was damage from flooding or sewer back-up at his property.

The first step to determining what happened is to investigate and find out exactly what did happen – and why? If the City does not know what happened – specifically – and why it happened, how can the City Council make a decision about what to do and how much money to spend, and on what projects first?

I was impressed by Mr. Bazzo’s approach. If you wish to reach him to discuss his legal services, call him at (248) 321-8600 (Eastern time zone).

No comments: