Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An Open Letter from Zane Seipler

The following is a letter received for publication from Zane Seipler.

To Gus Philpott, Blogger Extraordinaire,

I wrote you an open letter in November of 2008. That letter was directed specifically at the deputies of the McHenry County Sheriff’s Department. Once again I find it necessary to publish a letter with the hopes of informing and encouraging those same deputies I spoke of before.

It has come to my attention that the atmosphere within the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office has become “difficult”. It is a difficult place to work for some. I venture to say that a large group of deputies see the situation as humorous and long over due. Regardless, tough times are ahead. Not for all deputies but definitely for some. Hold your heads up, weather the storm and tell the truth if it is asked of you. Don’t be intimidated. Keep your eyes and ears open. Document everything.

With that said, I want to comment on some information I received about two specific roll calls that occurred earlier this month. These roll calls were attended by Captain Cundiff. During these roll calls Cundiff expressed his concern about a Grand Jury. This Grand Jury was convened to obtain testimony regarding two senior citizens who had a run in with deputies in March of 2008.

Cundiff told all deputies present that he would not tolerate misconduct by deputies and if anyone had information about misconduct they should approach him personally. Sources tell me that this speech sounded more like a vengeful tirade. Cundiff used the term “Fuck” numerous times. He raised his voice in a violent and threatening manner. I was even told that he stated that he would “castrate” and “crucify” deputies that were in violation. After his tirade was over I’m sure some of the deputies were very uncomfortable. For that an apology is owed. (I would say a visit to EEO Katy Seith is also in order.)

In normal society supervisors or anyone for that matter do not address an audience like that, especially an audience of subordinates. Why is it that this is tolerated? Is it because it has always been this way? (John Miller told me that once.) The answer is fear. When Cudiff gets up in front of a room full of deputies and screams obscenities and threatens castration, there is a purpose. That purpose is to scare the audience. How is it that this is allowed to happen? I pose that question to Keith Nygren. Why does Keith Nygren allow this man to run around the department openly intimidating deputies? (I’ll find out the answer to that question in the near future.)

During my conflicts with Cundiff and others, I was ordered to undergo a psychological exam by the county psychologist, Dr. Meyer. Cundiff claimed I was suffering for post traumatic stress syndrome stemming from an incident where a man died, due to my actions. The problem with this request was that it was 18 months after the fact and 6 months after I went into his office and expressed my concerns about the behaviors of other deputies. So be careful when you consider taking Cundiff up on his open door policy. (You might be the one who gets crucified.)

Another question that should be posed to Keith Nygren is the mental fitness of Cundiff. Not long ago Cundiff was involved in a very traumatic incident involving life threatening surgery. I wonder if Dr. Meyer gave Cundiff the battery of tests that I was ordered to endure. It is a fitting question because a mentally healthy individual does not talk of castration and crucifixion as means of discipline unless, of course, the individual is suffering from post traumatic stress.

Deputies, you don’t have to work under these conditions. No one should ever feel fearful of their supervisors. Supervisors, how can you sit by and let people you command be bullied and intimidated by this man? How can you let yourselves be bullied and intimidated? You know these things are wrong. Stand up. Be a leader.

Sheriff Nygren, you are an elected law enforcement official. It is your sworn duty to enforce the law. There are laws that govern the work place. Enforce them. It is time for you to take a good look at your command staff. They are causing you a world of trouble. It’s only going to get worse. Fix the problems.

In closing, I would like to thank all the deputies and county employees that have reached out to me, Gus Philpott and my lawyers. The information you are providing is invaluable. Again, thank you.

Sincerely,
Zane Seipler (McHenry County Citizen)

No comments: