Thursday, June 23, 2011

Who, me? Too sensitive?

I get to pass through security often at the McHenry County Government Center. Usually, no alarms are set off, unless I 'm wearing my favorite, solid brass, "Colorado" belt buckle. I put my cell phone, pen and keys in the little bucket and stroll right through. The courthouse security staff is courteous to me, or they ignore me. Either way is fine; I still greet them courteously.

One day during the race for Sheriff, one of the guards looked around, saw that he would not be overheard, and said, "Good morning, Sheriff." He cracked me up! I laugh every time I remember him.

I take a few shots from time to time at the courthouse security staff, but not usually at those who staff the entrances. Sometimes I wonder about over-staffing, but that's a management problem, not the fault of the guards. They just go where they are told.

Today it was a little different. A guard was standing by the exit end of the scanner, leaning on the top of the scanner and he had his left foot up on the railing of the conveyor belt, which was causing his body to lean over the conveyor a little. You would think that any guard on duty would straighten up when a visitor arrived and present a professional appearance and reception, wouldn't you?

As I leaned down to retrieve my possessions from the plastic container, you can guess the view I had. No, thank you!

But I don't run the courthouse, so I didn't say anything - then...

No comments: