Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Woodstock is not Denver

Got a phone call today and the caller told me that she had heard my name on Y103.9 last week. You know – one of those “Call back in 10 minutes and 39 seconds, and you win” deals? I’ll never know what I didn’t win; perhaps it was just “qualifying” to win.

I was reminded of a day in Denver about 20 years ago when my name was announced on a radio station there. I had entered a contest to win dinner for two, a limo ride and two Neil Diamond tickets. As I recall the contest promotion, it was, “Send us a postcard and we’ll send you to see Neil Diamond." So I did, and they did.

As luck would have it, a week or two later I had the radio on but wasn’t paying attention to it. Four people called me to say they had heard my name; one man even took an exit off the Boulder Turnpike to a pay phone to call me. I called the radio station in time to claim the prize, and the assistant producer told me to bring my wife and be at the radio station on Sunday at 5:00PM.

Problem #1. “No wife,” I told her.

Then she said to bring my girlfriend and be there at 5.

Problem #2. “No girlfriend,” I said.

She quickly said that she would go with me, and she did! So, whenever I think of radio contests, I still think of Debbie W. in Denver. Thanks again, Debbie!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post made my day! lol.