Thursday, April 23, 2009

Customer No-Service at TCF

Last Sunday I stopped at the TCF Bank counter in the Woodstock Jewel-Osco to get a roll of quarters. (No, I wasn't heading to a poker game!) Imagine my surprise, when the teller asked if I had an account there. And then refused to "sell" me a roll of quarters for the $10 bill I was holding!

She said something about not being able to go into the vault, if I weren't a customer...

Businesses have rules; sometimes they have stupid rules. If she was even following a rule...

In economic times when businesses are dying to find new customers, one would think employees would take every opportunity to serve the person who asks for anything, because you just might convert them into a customer.

What if she had said, "I'll be happy to give you a roll of quarters. Our policy is to do this just for our customers, and we'd really like for you to become a TCF Bank customer. Here are your quarters. May I give you some account information? Would you be more interested in a new checking, savings or CD account?"

Even if I had said "No" at the time, she would have made a dynamite impression on me, and I might just have returned to open an account.

Instead, I'll remember TCF Bank as the bank that refused to sell me a roll of quarters, even though there wasn't a customer in sight.

Have you had a poor customer service experience in Woodstock?

No comments: