Thursday, May 31, 2012

Spelling in Woodstock

Who was that kid, the 12-year-old, who almost made the cut in the spelling bee? The one in this morning's paper? He is desperately needed in Woodstock.

Today I was snooping around on the Woodstock PD website, looking for the correct spelling for the name of the drug dog. Is it Brinx? Brinks? I thought I'd find a photo of the handler and the dog, but I didn't.

What did catch my eye was what, at first, I thought was a photo from a training room. Upon closer inspection I see that it is a uniformed officer in a classroom. See the kids? See the chalkboard?

See the poster? "WHOO'S DOING GOOD WORK?"

What school is this in? What classroom? Who is the teacher?

I don't care if "WHOO'S" is a mysterious acronym as a study aid. How many Woodstock kids will pass through that class and head off into life, believing that "who" is spelled "whoo"? The poster is right there in front of them, day and day. The subliminal message is there.

But another question - wouldn't it be better to put a photo with no misspellings on the website?

4 comments:

john_d said...

There is a owl next to the statement. You might not give a hoot, but I think that explains it.

Anonymous said...

Clearly it is a play on words being that an owl is on the poster. Simmer down.

Anonymous said...

But another question - wouldn't it be better to admit you were mistaken about the owl poster? A mea culpa goes a long way ....

Gus said...

What's "mistaken" about not seeing the owl? Sure, it's "cute". Ten years from now, let's see how many kids passing through that classroom don't know how to spell "who's".