Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Outdoor range - how much noise?

The McHenry County Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) couldn't get its work done on April 26 regarding a proposed gun range on Route 120 at Queen Anne Road. The first meeting on April 19 had been continued, and now the issue has been continued to May 24.

The ZBA runs its meetings this way: the Petitioner and his attorney are up first, and then the Board asks questions. Then the Board entertains questions from the audience. Questions, not comments.

After the questions are asked, then the Board will hear comments from the audience.

Only a few questions were asked on April 19 before the bell tolled at 4:30PM.

When the Board ran out of time again on April 26, most of the public comment had not been heard; thus, the continuance.

Petitioner Dominic DeBock is going to line up a professional sound study.

Do it this way. Set up sound-measuring stations in various directions and at various distances from the proposed range. Take prevailing winds into consideration. Then get 50-100 people on the southeast corner of Route 120 and Queen Anne Road and have them fire their shotguns and .50 caliber rifles and .44 Magnum pistols for 3-4 hours. Fire hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Or maybe just think about it, and then vote down his petition for that corner.

An outdoor gun range is a great idea. I'm all for it. But not on that corner. Put it in a corn field somewhere west of Route 23 between Marengo and Harvard.

1 comment:

Ray said...

I tuned up my 30.06 about 1500 yards from there last summer and I didn't hear a peep. I ran about three hundred rounds through my 9mm, and 4 to 5 through my PPK .22. The place were I practice I picked a lot of brass, because I like to leave a place better than I found it.

Overall this "issue" is a lot like all of the other issues I hear about, people have all kinds of objections when you give them a chance to.