Sunday, February 12, 2012

MCSD General Orders and political involvement

What do the General Orders at the McHenry County Sheriff's Department have to say about political involvement of employees of the sheriff's department?

Would someone like to provide me with a copy of the General Orders, so that I don't have to submit a FOIA request for them? They can be provided to me confidentially. However, handle any photocopies while wearing gloves, so that your fingerprints won't show up on copies. You can mail them to me; I'll be sure the envelope is destroyed.

My guess is that political activity is controlled to some degree, as it should be. That is, political activity is probably not allowed on duty time, in a government office or from a government vehicle. I also guess that political activity off-duty and out of uniform will not be restricted. (The only hazard there is if you align yourself with a person who doesn't win his election.)

What about uniforms? Can they be worn while the off-duty employee is participating in a political activity?

Do the rules apply to ALL employees?

No comments: