Monday, December 12, 2011

*So, you're a cop. What do you make?"

A reader sent this along today - - - 

Have you ever had someone come up to you and say this:

"Oh you're a cop? That's cool. I wanted to do that when I was a kid. What do you make?"


Written by some talented cop somewhere, here is an answer that I thought I would share.

WHAT DO I MAKE??

I make it possible to keep back the chaos every day.

I make 5 minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up.

I make going to work for your family's safety a duty that I will die for.

I make myself work holidays, nights, during hurricanes, riots, terrorist attacks and other disasters...... a standard day while you complain about your 9-5 in your air conditioned office.

I make the fact that I may not get to eat, or get a break or cannot use the restroom when I need to, part of my job.

I make running towards the gunfire and bad guys, so that you remain safe, an automatic reaction.

I make getting shot at, stabbed, spit on, punched and kicked at work, an expected part of my day.

I make working for people, who most often dislike me, swear at me, and complain about everything I do or do not do.

I make working 12 hour shifts until 6 AM, my day at the office, so you and your family can sleep safely, a way of life. 



Today I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life.

I make a difference, WHAT DO YOU MAKE?


During this Christmas season, I give thanks to all my fellow law enforcement officers regardless of their rank, title, department, or agency for the job you do, or have done in these ever increasingly difficult times.

6 comments:

bill Matteson said...

Well said, thanks for posting it

Notawannabee said...

Well did the Ghost of Christmas Future come visit you, or are you just in a Christmas spirit and wanted to say something nice?

BTW I liked it.

Merry Christmas

Gus said...

Nota, thanks. As a matter of fact, I am reading Charles Dickens' book on Kindle right now.

Just trying to avoid a lump of coal in my Christmas stocking.

Anonymous said...

TMB has had his share of interactions with Police and Fire. For the most part, they were OUTSTANDING people... one's that I'd gladly share a brew with anytime & anyplace.
I've also had some run in's with neer-do-well officials too. Uncaring, ruthless, liars, Nygrenmaniacs... mostly those that Gusomundo writes about.
My point.... well... I forgot. Doh.

carl gruber said...

"During this Christmas season, I give thanks to all my fellow law enforcement officers"... Really Gus? What agency are you associated with?

Gus said...

carl, that last paragraph was part of the quoted message.