Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Slow Service at the Post Office

Friendly customer service is always appreciated, and service at the windows at the Woodstock Post Office is generally good. Slow, but good.

On Tuesday I stopped at the Post Office in mid-afternoon to mail a small envelope containing a dog tag I had made for a friend who is sailing from Connecticut to Florida with only his dog as “crew.” I was aboard “Dust in the Wind” in December and noticed that the lettering on Chubby’s tag was worn out and that the tag had the owner’s previous address on it but no phone number.

What does a dog tag weigh? And what does a dog tag in a small, padded mailer weigh? Less than an ounce.

I wanted to use the automated postage equipment in the lobby, but I wasn’t sure whether the size of the mailer might require the second ounce of postage ($0.17), for a total of $0.58, so I waited in line as the fourth or fifth customer.

And waited and waited and waited. Two postal clerks were working, and both had slow customers.

Why is it that customers step up to the counter without money out and ready? Do they think postage or mailing will be free? (Of course, I wonder the same thing at Jewel. Do customers expect groceries to be free, if they don’t get out cash, credit card or check?)

At the window I was surprised to learn that $1.13 postage was required, because my small, light, padded mailer was a “package.” But the long delay there was due to the equipment that totaled up my postage charge. The excuse? “The Post Office went with the low bidder.”

Great, just great. How much is labor expense is wasted, waiting for slow postal equipment? Where were the time-efficiency experts when the purchasing decision was made?

Should postal clerks be paid salaries, by the hour, or by the number of customers waited on? If there is no one waiting, sure, be friendly and take some extra time. When there are customers waiting, be friendly, but also be efficient. Move the customer aside while she puts everything back in her purse and gathers up her keys. Call the next customer, in order to help move the just-helped customer aside. The chatty customer is oblivious to the long line of customers waiting behind her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always taught to not have my money in hand while waiting in line. What if the person had a $100 and didn't want to sit there with it in their hand for fear of it being stolen or lost. I guess when you get to be your age you don't have the patience that you used too. I keep thinking about how much closer to death you are then me. Do you think about that while your in line?

Anonymous said...

I would pay whatever it took to mail you to a country that has real problems and real issues of concern. If you are all about saving the world do some good and quit bitching about everything. The time and effort you put forth in this website could have been put towards real issues. Don't get me wrong some dog that you butt raped on a boat deserves a shiny tag reminding him of you. So the $1.13 is worth it Gus. Your the man- wow I wish I could be as worthy as you.