Friday, February 15, 2008

County’s Music-on-Hold

Have you called the County Government offices recently? Try it: 815.334.4000 Be prepared to hold the phone away from your ear, when the recorded music is played, while you count the minutes you are on-hold.

I called yesterday to reach Environment Health. After listening to the options and not hearing a choice that would lead me to the right department, I headed for the live operator. Usually, I punch Zero fast and skip all the recorded directions but, for a rare time, I decided to slug it out with the voice tree.

I had a long wait for the operator. She connected me to the Health Department, where I encountered another electronic menu. I had to use the department’s operator to reach the desired section. While she said she would transfer me to Environmental Health, she actually transferred me to Judge Sullivan’s office. OK, so back to Square One.

I dialed back and asked the operator to connect with a supervisor, so I could complain about the loud, obnoxious music-on-hold. I’ll admit to a generation gap and a preference for a different kind of music, but whoever set up the music must have been deaf or assumed that all callers are deaf. The supervisor told me she could address the length of delay before an operator answers (there was a temporary operator on duty that day; thus, answering was slower than usual. I suggested the operator should not attempt to help a caller at length; only by promptly transferring that caller to a department correctly).

The I.T. department at the County apparently controls the music volume and choice of music. Having known many I.T. people, I know from experience that isn’t how business ought to work. Someone else makes the decision about choice of music and volume, and then the I.T. people implement the decisions. That’s how it should work! And then someone needs to check that the system is working as designed.

What a novel concept in County government; right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

they probably wanted to make you go deaf or they are just tired of listening to you complain about every stupid thing in this town that no one else would care about. you are wasting the operators time, they could be talking to someone with a real concern but no, they are wasting valuable time listening to you bitch about the hold music. if it bothers you that much, dont hold the phone to your ear or turn the volume down on your phone pinhead. so what a novel concern from gus philpott; right?

Anonymous said...

C,mon give Gus a break. There are so many people in this world who are worried about the things that rally matter that sometimes the small, stupid things don't get the attention they deserve (talk about a contradiction). Gus takes care of the things that don't matter thereby freeing up time for real people to take care of real problems. Really Gus why didn't you just get in your little car and sloooowly drive out to the county and annoy them in person? The added benefit of pissing off everyone behind you would be icing on your simple little cake.

Anonymous said...

move back to Colorado, or did they beat the crap out of you there because they can't stand you? and what douche would make his own website about himself? i guess that motorcycle cop ran over you a couple of times when you were young. i want to drive over the top of that red VW with you inside.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, missed your qualificationas as expert on everything. Was that before horse chiropractor and after cat psychic?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.