Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Will Mrs. Nygren vote in McHenry County?

A caller today asked me if Marge Nygren might be voting in Hebron today. Might she?

Since she has declared residency in Florida for the purpose of filing for the homestead exemption on the Cape Coral home of Keith and her, I figured she would have changed her voter registration to Florida. After all, don't you have to vote where you live? Or rather, can you not vote where you used to live?

But a check today of the voter registration records at the Illinois State Board of Elections indicates that Margarete A. Nygren is an Illinois registered voter for voting at the Hebron Village Hall.

Of course, voting records could be out-of-date. Perhaps Mrs. Nygren registered to vote in Florida and Florida forgot to inform Illinois. Or maybe she was too busy to call McHenry County Clerk Schultz and let her know that she was a Florida resident. I'd bet you a fresh donut that they knew this at the County Clerk's office, but they might require something "official" before striking a registered voter from the rolls.

Surely, Mrs. Nygren will not vote for her husband today. Will she?

4 comments:

Bounty Hunter said...

Gus, I do not believe Mrs Nygren is at fault on this issue. I know that I was a registered voter in McHenry County when I first moved back in 1987. I left again in 1991. I was very surprised when I moved back in 2007 and went to register to vote, that I was still listed as a registered voter at my address listed 17 years earlier.

Maybe a 'voters' registration should be renewed at the same time a person renews his or her driver's license. If a person has moved then their voting card would lapse by year 5. Another button to push for the Government I suppose.

Gus said...

I was under the impression that, if one registered to vote after moving into a state, that new state notified the previous state of registration of the new voter registration.

Don't recall where I lived when I was told that. I've lived in about 15-20 states. Time and money would be a factor in whether the new state notified the old state.

She will only be at fault, if she votes today in Hebron.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure she will... twice! I did!
DOH!

Pamela Whitson said...

Is this how Chicago Does It??