Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Constituent ignored by State Rep?

Earlier this week I telephoned Rep. Jack Franks' Springfield office and left a message about HB180, an anti-gun bill that threatens the privacy of every gunowner in Illinois. I left a message on a recording device, with my name and telephone number, that I was calling to ask Jack to oppose that legislation.

I also asked for a return call with Jack's position on the Bill; i.e., is he in favor of it or against it?

I know that my name, phone number and email address are in the records of Jack's legislative offices. I would have appreciated a return call, even if it merely informed me that Jack intends to support that bill.

In the absence of any return call, I'll assume that Jack intends to vote in favor of HB180.

Whether you own a gun or not, if you read the entire bill, especially Section 30, you will not be in favor of that bill. All you have to do is substitute your favorite piece of property and then ask yourself how you would feel if the legislature attempted to brand you as a person who owned something that they might decide to outlaw in the future.

Gun ownership is what keeps this country free. You may not own a gun or even intend to, but don't prevent us gunowners from having ours. If we ever need to defend our homeland against a foreign enemy, terrorist or even against any illegal acts by our own government, you'll be glad that we have the means to do so.

If anyone can find out where Jack Franks stands on HB 180, will you please let me know?

2 comments:

Cal Skinner said...

So, how about posting Section 30?

Gus said...

One of the objectionable parts of HB180 is Section 30, which reads, in part:

(a) A licensed dealer must, within 24 hours after making a sale or transfer of a concealable firearm to a person who is not licensed as a handgun dealer, submit a report concerning that sale to the Department. The report must contain the following information:
(1) the date of the sale or transfer;
(2) the identity and address of the dealer;
(3) the name, address, age, and occupation of the transferee;
(4) the price of the firearm; and
(5) the type, description, and number of the firearm.

I do NOT want the government knowing what guns I own or how many!