Wednesday, April 16, 2008

IRS Got the Shirt ...

You know the rest; right? "IRS got the shirt off my back."

Every April 15 I think of a friend who came to an Income Tax Party I had at the Philadelphia Filly Restaurant in Denver on Monday, April 15, 1985. The restaurant was normally closed on Mondays, but Sally, the owner, agreed to open if I could get a lot of people there. It was a small place that I had found by accident, and it had quickly become a favorite.

About 100 people showed up to eat and drink. When John arrived, he was nicely dressed in a three-piece business suit. After a quick Hello, he headed for the men's room. He was in there a long time, almost to the point that some of us wondered what had happened to him. When he emerged, he had taken off his dress shirt and was wearing his suit pants, vest, tie and suit coat.

You guessed it! And he spend the entire party explaining what had happened to his shirt!

And where did we go when the party was over? We formed a caravan for a trip to the Post Office to mail our tax returns!

So, here's to you, John. I don't know who else remembers that party, but I'll always remember you!

1 comment:

La tee da said...

That was a good party!