Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Illinois Way

Got this from an out-of-state friend. There is a ring of truth to it.

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House; one is from Illinois, one from Tennessee and a third from Kentucky. They all go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The Tennessee contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. “Well”, he says, “I figure the job will run about $900: $400 for materials, $400 for my crew and $100 profit for me.”

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, “I can do this job for $700: $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me.”

The Illinois contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, “$2,700.”

The official, incredulous, whispers back, “You didn't even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with such a high figure?”

The Illinois contractor whispers back, “$1000 for me, $1000 for you, and we hire that guy from Kentucky to fix the fence.”

"Done!” replies the government official.

And that, my friends, is how it all works !!!

No comments: