Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Some Days are Great, and Others …

…are just absolutely GREAT! Today was one of those absolutely great days.

In the early afternoon I retrieved a voicemail message from a woman who was a long-time Sears customer and whom I had helped with customer service problems in 2002. When I was at the Sears headquarters, I often handled sensitive complaints, and one day her grandson had come to the headquarters in person after she and he had been unable to get the appliance service problem resolved by telephone.

As I often did, I gave him my cell phone number and invited him (and her) to call me, if they ever thought they needed my help. Nine months later their problem recurred and, when she couldn’t reach me through Sears, she called me at home. I was happy to help then, too.

At the time she shared a story with me about her 100-year-old mother, who had been honored at the Mississippi school where she had taught for 40 years. I’ll always remember her remark: “When that principal stood up in the auditorium in front of those kids, it was so quiet you could have heard cotton drop.” Now that’s quiet!

She had saved my phone number and called me today for help. I explained that I hadn’t been with Sears for almost five years, but that I would be happy to help her. I called Sears Customer Service via the home office and spoke with a very helpful customer service agent, who said she would get right on the problem. I asked her to expedite the air-conditioner repair in view of the customer’s long-standing relationship with Sears and the high temperatures and humidity in Chicago and their impact on the elderly.

I was pleased to learn that her grandson had earned his Masters degree and was headed to law school. She invited me to visit her home, and one day soon I’ll head to Chicago to meet her. I’m only sorry that I waited this long and missed meeting her mother, who died when she was 101.

No comments: